Delicious whole lamb neck recipe – an Easter delight
Lamb neck is rather underrated. But given the right cooking methods, lamb neck can be a firm family favourite when sitting down for a tasty weekend roast.
It’s also a handy option for Easter weekend, when people come together to celebrate faith, family and feasting. Instead of spending hours in front of the stove, you can simply pop this dish into the oven, and rather use this precious time to connect with your loved ones.
There really is only one way to cook a lamb neck: it needs to be slow-cooked, so that the juices work their magic on the meat, and flavour the potatoes and other veggies.
What’s more, Elmien has done all the hard work for you.
She’s tested this delicious oven-roasted whole lamb neck recipe on her own family (it was extremely well received). And she shares her ideas below. It’s an easy recipe that’ll excite family and friends alike on why nothing quite beats farm-fresh meat at your table.
Oven-roasted whole Lamb Neck
What you’ll need:
- 1 whole lamb neck
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots, chopped in chunky pieces
- 4 peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- ¼ cup of fresh rosemary
- ½ cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- In a large oven or cast-iron pot, place the chopped onions and carrots at the bottom.
- Place the whole lamb neck on top of the vegetables
- Then add the garlic, rosemary, coriander and mixed herbs on top and around the lamb neck.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the ingredients in the pot.
- Add the water to the pot and cover with lid or tinfoil.
- Place the lamb neck in the oven for 2 to 3 hours (depending on how you prefer it).
- When there’s approximately an hour left, add the potatoes to the pot.
- 15 min before taking the lamb neck from the oven, remove the lid or tinfoil in order for the meat to brown.
- And voilà!
- You can also use other meat cuts in this recipe, such as lamb shank or other lamb stew meat.
We hope that you enjoy this fun, tasty recipe. And remember to share the recipe (and the meal) with your family and friends.
You can order our quality, farm-fresh lamb meat today and we’ll deliver your order to you.